- Professional Service Award, College of Arts and Sciences, May 2015.
- Appointed Historian and Board of Directors, 306th Bomb Group Association, 2007-2014
- Elected President, Texas Oral History Association, 2007-2008
- First Place for Best Documentary for 2004, Deopham Green: The Saga of the 452nd Bomb Group in World War II, Vernon L. Williams, Producer/Director, National Broadcasting Society annual meeting and competition, Los Angeles, California, March 2005.
- Selected for a 2003-2004 Faculty Renewal Leave for work on the East Anglia Air War study.
- The Areta Award for Civic and Moral Excellence, Abilene Education Council, 2002.
- The Mary Faye Barnes Award for Excellence for Community History Projects, awarded for work on the 12th Armored Division Oral History Project, Texas Oral History Association, 2002.
- Professional Service Award, College of Arts and Sciences, May 2002.